Sunday, October 27, 2013

French Dinner & Egg Coffee, Hanoi 2013


Arriving back in the Old Quarter after our rainy adventure to the Perfume Pagoda, we headed out to DC Bistro Boutique, a French bistro recommended by a friend of mine. Why a French bistro when there are so many other Vietnamese food to try? Because they had a three-course set meal for only 7USD!




I selected the pate rillete for starters, seafood gratin for mains and the best chocolate mousse in the world for desserts. I admit I wasn't sure what I was going to get when I said I would have the rillete and I had to look it up later. I was rather relieved to find out it was just pork pate. Not pictured was the freshly baked bread and home-made butter, because it disappeared rather quickly between the two of us.



After dinner, we headed back to the Old Quarter, soaking up the lights and sounds. We were also intent on finding a cafe to try the infamous Vietnamese Egg Coffee or Ca Phe Trung. I had no idea what to expect with this variant of coffee, in my mind I expected a raw egg whisked in with black coffee. What we got was a creamy, sweet drink with no discernible traces of raw egg. Research later told me that preparations for Vietnamese Egg Coffee begin with the egg yolk being whisked with condensed milk and a little filtered coffee. The fluffy mixture is then poured on top of the coffee. If you are in Hanoi, make sure you give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...